The Sparks

What are the sparks-- the sparks of India?  When I considered various titles for this blog, my mind was drawn to the name of the dance methodology I'm using here-- Promethean Spark, inspired by the Greek mythology of Prometheus.  If you don't know the story of Prometheus, please follow this link to enjoy a good little read about him!

With this story in mind, I considered the many things that the spark represents in the story, but also what it can represent now.  For me, the spark continues to represent what is said at the end of the story, found in the previous link (you can follow it again here, haha)--  "To this day, the term Promethean refers to events or people of great creativity, selflessness, intellect and boldness.  The spark itself refers to the human soul, divine ambition and anything we might share with others that elevates to a more enlightened, joyous, productive and beautiful world."  Already I have seen how my time in India is elevating me "to a more enlightened, joyous, productive and beautiful world."  This is evident through what I think of as the daily sparks I come in contact with-- the captivating surroundings; the musical sounds of India that fill my ears; the new (and sometimes surprising) cultural experiences; but most important to me, the sparks that are within each person I meet.  And the most important sparks that I will interact with this summer are within the children.

I am excited to announce that the sparks-- the children-- began arriving on campus today!  Although they are probably only 50-70 in number right now, it made me joyous to see them here.  (We will have many more arrive between now and June 7th.)

At bedtime, I slipped through the dark campus to the dorms where the students sleep so that I could lead a little story time with the girls.  When I arrived, Amala (the same young woman who dressed me in the saree yesterday) led me to the quarters where the girls sleep.  With a guitar in hand, I entered the building.  There I was met by many curious and exited faces!  Some smiled back at me, and some even hurried to my side to introduce themselves and to inquire about who I am.  Within moments we were huddled together in one of the sleeping rooms.  (The younger students had already gone to bed, so I was surrounded by only the oldest girls.)  We briefly visited about who I am, and then I did my best to sing and play"Whispering Pines" by Johnny Horton on the guitar.  My own father used to sing and play this song for me and my siblings at bedtime when we were little.  Although the lyrics can seem a bit sad, I've always thought it has a sweet love message, the the tune is so soothing.  I hope I did it justice!  Following the song, we took a few pictures and then wished each other goodnight.





I am looking forward to meeting the rest of the students soon!  This is why I came-- to help the spark flourish within these students.  Do I feel like the most qualified person to do this?  No way!!  But I believe in the Promethean Spark Methodology, and I believe in the natural talents and gifts of these students.  We will have difficult times, I am certain of it-- but I know the summer with these sparks of India will mostly be one of joy, love, friendship and progress. Surely, they too will nourish the spark within me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You

Hello India! வணக்கம்/ Vanakkam!