Wrapped Up in a Saree


Amala carefully wrapped the long piece of fabric around me-- a little tuck here, and a pinning there... Her tiny, yet skillful hands knew exactly what to do in order to make the fabric hang correctly on my petite frame.  This would be the very first saree for me!  The black sheer material was embroidered with red, green, and gold stripes along a couple of the sides, and a long section of gold was carefully folded to drape over my shoulder.  Nearly an hour later, the saree was ready.  As an after-thought and final touch, Amala pinned a long strand of tiny white flowers in my hair.  It was beautiful!  Although I felt that I couldn't compare to the stunning Indian women in their ornate jewelry and vibrant saree's, I felt beautiful.  As white as I am, I felt so honored to have the opportunity to wear these traditional Indian clothes.

A couple hours after Amala dressed me, I found myself on a bus-like van with seven fine Indian men from Rising Star:   Raja (our driver), Johnson (Finance Manager), Vadivel (Executive Assistant and Safety Officer), Eshwarraj (System Administrator), Krishnamoorty (Transport Supervisor and Purchase Officer, Sivamohan (Principal), and Nagaraj (Administrative Assistant).  The vehicle was filled with laughter as the men spoke Tamil with one another in jest.  I didn't understand a word, but I had fun imagining the crazy and silly things they were saying to each other.  The humor continued as we drove along narrow roads through scattered villages until we reached Chennai!  We picked up Carrie (yeah, we know-- we thought we wouldn't see each other again either!), and made our way to an art exhibition for Ponni M. Concessao-- a member of Rising Star's Board of Directors in India; an artist and architect.  All of the proceeds from the art exhibition are to go to Rising Star!

The paintings were captivating!  Not only did she have beautiful scenic works of art, but she also had religious pieces, and images that portrayed feminism, and Indian values and traditions.  As I wandered the exhibition and visited with once-strangers-now-friends, I happened upon an older woman about my size who seemed to carry herself with elegance and great dignity.  I soon learned that she is Padma Venkataraman!  Not only did she help establish Rising Star Outreach in India, but she is also the daughter of India's former president, Ramaswamy Venkataraman!  Padma is currently a Vice President of the Women's India Association.  It was such an honor to speak with this woman!  I later learned that her father was closely aquatinted with Ghandi and that she too spent time with him.  I am now officially one hug away from Ghandi!

On the way back to campus (which took a few hours), the gentlemen treated me to some Southern Indian food at a restaurant where I tried dosa-- a thin, wafer-like crepe served with a variety of dipping sauces.  Now I pray I don't get sick, haha!

All in all, it was a magical evening.  The art was of the highest quality, the guests were poised and eloquent to speak with (did I mention a member of the US consulate was there with her son?), the refreshments and dosa were tasty... and I got to do everything wrapped up in a saree!


Dr Susan, Padma Venkataraman, me, Carrie

Another note about the US consulate member's son:  After lighting a ceremonial Indian candle at the art exhibition, Ponni invited the young boy (just graduated from Kindergarten today!) to add the flames to a painting she had already done of the detailed candle.  It was beautiful to see this small child add his artistic touch to the professionals painting.  What symbolism and power is found in that seemingly small act!  I'm sure this boy will remember tonight for the rest of his life.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You

The Sparks

Hello India! வணக்கம்/ Vanakkam!