I Can't.... Yet

 


I can't confidently and safely ride a longboard... yet.  I can't do 50 push ups in a row... yet.  I can't practice Dance/Movement Therapy... yet.  I can't understand the rules of rugby... yet.  I can't travel to Africa... yet.  I can't communicate fluently with ASL... yet.

I can't... yet.

This is one of my favorite lessons/concepts taught through the Promethean Spark Methodology.  So often people around the world claim that they can't do certain things.  Sure, some things are legitimately unrealistic, but most of the time they are things that they can't do... yet.  But with the right focus, determination, and patience, one day they would be able to say "I can!"  

Today in practice with the Life Dance Troupe, Susie and I taught a new special jump to the students.  As soon as they saw the demonstration of the jump, we were met with exclamations of shock and resistance.  "Auntie, that's too hard!"  some said.  "I can't do that!" said most of the Troupe members.  After explaining the concept of "I can't... yet!", there was a change in the mood of our practice.  The students went from feeling scared and doubtful to feeling excited and determined!  I am happy to say that by the end of class, each of the troupe members could do the jump.  Yes, we still need to practice it more and make it look more clean... But they did it!  Earlier, their statement was "I can't yet", but now they can each see "I can!" 

I love seeing this kind of change in others and in myself.  So the next time you find yourself saying that you can't do something, check again to make sure that's really true!  Chances are you need to add a "yet" to your statement!  And if you're determined and patient with yourself, I'm certain that that many of your "I can't yet..." statements will turn to '"I  can." statements.  :)






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You

The Sparks

Hello India! வணக்கம்/ Vanakkam!