Old, Faded, Worn and Beautiful



It's like an old swing that served many generations of children as they learned to fly and feel their hearts and stomachs leap with excitement.  It's like that favorite pair of jeans, faded over time from being used so often.  It's like the rough worn hands of a grandfather after years of working and caring for his children, grandchildren, and love of his life.  It's like the beautiful results of hard work and selfless service to others.

As I near the end of my time in India, I recognize that there will be many more dance masters after me.  Even Susie will be staying until December, and after her there will (hopefully) be many more!  I feel the transition taking place already, where my position here is beginning to fade and Susie's position is beginning to grow and fill the stage.  Of course I will continue to work hard and give my all until the very last day, yet I sense this transition taking place.

Teaching at Rising Star Outreach as a Promethean Spark Life Coach / Dance Master has been a miraculous experience, and it has also been a difficult one as well-- some days even involving tears.  Due to the hardships, a part of me feels old, faded and worn.  With my work coming to a close I ask myself, "What influence have I had here?  How long will it last after I am gone?  Was my work acceptable?"  If an old swing or faded pair of jeans could talk, maybe they would ask those same questions!  It's similar to the feelings I had when I was nearing the end of my service as a full-time missionary in the Hungary Budapest Mission.  Was I perfect missionary then?  No.  But I tried my best.  Have I been a perfect Life Coach / Dance Master?  No.  But I have tried my best.  Since I feel like my work and I are becoming old, faded and worn here, where do I find the beauty?

In the lives of my students.  Maybe only a few of them will remember me as the years go by, but I hope they all will at least recall the positive way they felt while I was here... And with those positive feelings,  I hope they will move forward to bless the lives of others and create similar positive feelings for those around them.

So how long will my influence and work be recognized here after I leave?  I don't know.  But I feel that through the grace of God it has been not only acceptable, but beautiful.  With His help, lives have been changed for the better during my time here, and wonderful relationships have been built.  I have worked hard, I have played hard, and I can say that I have done my best.

Once the old swing is too old to sit on... Once the faded pair of jeans must be retired... Once the worn hands of the grandfather can't work anymore... Where is the beauty? In the lives of those they blessed.

 It's the beautiful results of hard work and selfless service to others.



*Image taken from the ceiling of the temple ruins in Mamallapuram.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You

The Sparks

Faces, Hearts and Souls