Shades In the Shade


I call it the gathering tree-- the tree found near the entrance of the Venkatapuram Colony.  It was my second time to the colony, and both times we gathered in the shade of this tree.  It's a happening place!  In the shaded area we can do lice and oil treatments for the residents, create rangoli's, tie flower pieces for the hair, and even enjoy dance parties!!  And today... it was a day of dancing!!

There were two men who danced with me a lot (I'll try to share footage of that later!), and the rest of the colony members and sponsors enjoyed watching as Susie and I broke it down with the men!  We danced to several Tamil songs, so the rhythms were fantastic.  I also brought my little drum with me, so many of the men enjoyed playing with the drum and creating their own beats.  

Then the shades came out!  Photo after photo, we posed with our shades on!  Of course the dancers wanted some pictures, and later a few of the women were brave enough to ask for photos as well!  They LOVED it!  









This man gave me this necklace as a gift!  I'm not entirely sure why he gave it to me, but he was very happy to present it to me.  He enjoyed playing the drum a lot, so I'm happy that I could give him the opportunity to drum for a while :)
This woman and a friend created a beautiful flower hair piece to put in my hair before  we loaded the bus to leave!  
These great volunteers spent time cleaning the ceiling of the community hall!  It was good to see them using brooms ;)  But really-- it was good service, and it really make the community hall nicer without the cobwebs and dirt up there.
Ambica did my hair on the bus!  They call this "waterfall" :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You

The Sparks

Faces, Hearts and Souls