A Crab on Campus



We had just finished a good rehearsal with the Life Dance Troupe and it was finally time to prepare for dinner.  While walking to the Elephant House, I passed through the Mango grove and found a small gathering of students in a tight huddle.  Although this isn't a particularly uncommon sight, I felt inclined to ask these students what they were up to.  As I approached the group, I could see that everyone was facing in toward the middle of the clump.  They had something in there.  I came close and did my best to peer into the center.

"What are you all doing?"  I inquired.  The students parted way just enough for me to slip in a little closer toward the source of the excitement.  That's when I saw it.  A crab!  One of the students was holding it in her hands, and she proudly showed it off to me.  I was surprised!  After nearly 2.5 months on campus, I had never seen a crab before!  It was fairly small, but still a curious sight!

After some persistent coaxing, the students talked me into holding the crab.  I admit, I was nervous that it would try to pinch me!  Thankfully, it didn't.  The students and I had a good time passing Mr. Crab around as we analyzed him and appreciated his unique form and nature.  I have seen some surprising things on campus, but this was one of the most random!  I love all of the things the students have shared with me, including this random experience with the Campus Crab!  We don't know how he found his way to our secluded little campus, but he sure brought joy to us all.

Crabs are a creature of the world's oceans.  They can also live in fresh water and on land.  Tamil Nadu is one of the southernmost states of India, with the Bay of Bengal (which feeds into the Indian Ocean) on it's right side.  Now, although Tamil Nadu is a coastal state, the village I live in (Thottonaval Village) is at least an hour away from the coast.  So you tell me-- is it strange that we found this lone crab on campus?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You

The Sparks

Hello India! வணக்கம்/ Vanakkam!