The Pain of Letting Go



The pain in her eyes caused my heart to sink.  I wanted to save her from this moment.  I wished that I could turn back time and make it so that we would never have to sit on those steps the way we did.  Tears rolled down her cheeks as sobbing pleas of a second chance escaped her mouth.  But we couldn't escape the consequences of her actions.  We couldn't go against our own policies.  We had to let her go.

This was the very first time we had to let a member of the current Life Dance Troupe go.  I pray that it is the last.  Due to irresponsible attendance (or in other words, sporadic and poor attendance) and several chances to do better, we had to release her from her contract.  This breaks my heart.  I love this student so much, and I am devastated that it all boiled down to this.  

"Decisions determine destiny," teaches the prophet Thomas S. Monson of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  I don't think this talented girl ruined her destiny by making decisions that resulted in her removal from the Troupe... but her decisions definitely set her on a difference path.  I have committed myself to helping her find other options for what she can do with her time and talents this school year, thus opening doors for her to make decisions that will lead toward a bright and hopeful destiny.  

It's painful to let go of something we treasure so much.  I treasure this student.  She treasured Life Dance-- but not enough to ensure she had acceptable attendance.  We're both experiencing the pain of letting go of something we love dearly.  (Susie is also sad and disappointed, as I'm sure the rest of the Troupe will be as they learn about her dismissal.)  We hope that this loss will stand as an example to others for how important our decisions are and how they do determine our destiny or the path we're on.

My invitation to you is to consider where you want to go.  What are your goals?  Where do you hope to be in five years?  10 years?  20 years?  50 years?  What are you doing now to get there?  Do your current actions/decisions align with where you want to go?  If not, make the necessary changes to get back on course.  You can do it.  If you do this, you will reduce the likelihood of having to experience the pain of letting go of those dreams.  Choose now, and act.



Image result for decisions determine destiny

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You

The Sparks

Hello India! வணக்கம்/ Vanakkam!