Vasu's Vigor


"Rachel!  I missed the audition!"  These were his first words to me that I can recall.  I turned to look at the boy from 7th STD, and I noticed an expression of shock mixed with a pleading eagerness.   If touching would have been appropriate, I'm certain he would have grabbed me by the shoulders so he could level with me and look me straight in the eyes.

"I want to be a Life Dance Troupe member!"  Vasu continued.  The fire in his eyes was fueled by passion-- every word he spoke drenched in vigor.

Just the previous day we had held the auditions for the Life Dance Troupe.  Everyone from 6th STD up through 9th STD-- including11th STD as well-- had been invited to attend the audition.  Other students had already expressed disappointment to me about missing the audition, but something was different about Vasu.  The vehemence and urgency of his words and demeanor told me that this boy was special.  At the time I had no recollection of his dancing abilities.  But his character... This boy was clearly someone that would fuel the Life Dance Troupe with the life and energy it needs.  He would be a true spark.

Nearly 6 weeks later, I was thrilled to see Vasu at the second audition for the Life Dance Troupe.  I had kept an eye on him over the weeks, and I noticed how hard he worked in class.  He was consistently proving himself to be worthy of the Troupe.  To see him at the audition was exciting and fulfilling.  He was focused.  He worked hard.  He performed to the best of his ability.  He proved himself.

It would be hard to expect others to understand the sadness and immense disappointment Susie and I felt when we learned that Vasu couldn't be accepted onto the Troupe.  It was worse that it was for reasons out of our control-- reasons that the school gave us.  He was already registered for a computer class that would conflict with the rehearsal times of the Troupe, and the school wouldn't let him switch.  They wouldn't budge.

"Rachel... I am angry."  These were the words he said to me when I saw him today, several days after the audition.  I knew that he had cried when he learned of the results of the audition, but he wouldn't cry with me.  We sat on the floor of the dining hall discussing the reasons for why things had to be this way.  I explained to him how much Susie and I had wanted him on the Troupe-- how we had tried to find away around the school's decision... but we couldn't find the loophole.  Nothing I said could heal the pain he was feeling, but his anger slowly softened into understanding.

As left the dining hall to go our separate ways I stopped Vasu for one more thing.  "Promise me and yourself that you will audition again for the Life Dance Troupe at the end of this year.  You are exactly what we want on the Troupe."

"I will."  Vasu committed, and he smiled.  It wasn't a beaming, joyous smile, but it was a smile of hope.  Vasu still had his vigor.  His spark was still alive.

There are more students like Vasu at Rising Star Outreach of India-- students with determination, endurance, persistence, diligence... Students with a vision like Vasu.  It's hard for me to imagine the possibility of not seeing these students again after I return home... But these students have held my heart and have inspired me beyond anything words can describe.  I pray that I can return home with vigor like unto Vasu.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can You Spot It?

Thank You

Good Morning :) காலை வணக்கம்/Kālai vaṇakkam